Thursday 10 January 2008

Tony Mitton

During the course of planning this festival TONY MITTON’s name has come up several times. Tony lives in Cambridge with his wife and two children. He gives performances as a children's poet and picture-book writer in primary schools, libraries and at literary festival, and it seemed silly not to involve such local talent.


Lazy little alligator
lying in my lap,
let me sit and stroke you
as you take a little nap.

Hungry little alligator
waking in my lap,
wonder what's for breakfast:
SNAP! SNAP! SNAP!

Tony was born in Tripoli, North Africa and spent his childhood in Africa, Germany and Hong Kong. After graduating from Cambridge University, he trained as an English teacher, but went on to work instead as a primary school teacher. He has now given up teaching to concentrate entirely on being a children's poet and storywriter.

He is a prolific writer of poems, stories and picture books for children. His raps series (rhymes which retell well-known stories and myths in a highly original way) are popular with adults and children alike. His Royal Raps won the 1997 Nottinghamshire Libraries/Dillons Children's Book Award. Scholastic published Tony Mitton's first poetry anthology Plum, The Seal Hunter part of the Everystory series of stories and most recently The Red & White Spotted Handkerchief which has won a silver award at the 2000 Nestle Smarties Book Prize

Tony only began writing for children around the age of 40. We are really excited to have him come to the Infant School on Saturday 10th May……. with his hat.

Here’s my hat.
It holds my head,
the thoughts I’ve had
and the things I’ve read.

It keeps out the wind.
It keeps off the rain.
It hugs my hair
and warms my brain.

There’s me below it,
the sky above it.
It’s my lid.
And I love it.

No comments: